Friday 25 December 2015

A Hoot of a Project

A Hoot of a Project

Another craft project which I was insane enough to try and do before my friends moved. Incidentally taking a fortnight off my expected deadline was definitely not funny!

If anybody follows my blogs they are getting to see I have what I call a Blue Peter Approach. I get an idea then run around trying to see what I have handy in order to try and get it done.

This project was to create a present for two of my best friends who were sadly moving away : (

The concept was to make a present that was both aesthetic and functional and combined both their tastes. Since one is a talented tailor and the other an amazing artist it was a bit of a challenge but hey when do I ever do I make things easy for myself.

Since they both like Owls - these are the same people I made the Owl and Dragon egg coses for. I decided that an Owl would be the basis for the project. First the material.  I needed a fairly big piece for the body and extras.

Large Piece Brown Material
I used two triangle pieces but it isn't necessary to have that shape. I folded over to make a hem at the bottom and pinned it. I did not pin to the end as it was my intention to cut out a shape. * I suggest you scroll down first before doing any sewing and cutting.

Pinned Base Seam

















Leaving room for shaping I pinned and sewed the two hems. I generally just use a tacking stitch for hemming and a blanket stitch for joining. I then pinned the hems side by side and sewed along the join.

*  Owl Body Shape
I shaped the top and the sides. I pinned and hemmed the all the way around. I then pinned 2/3rds up the side as shown above. If you using the same shaped material as me do not throw away the part you have cut off you will be needing that later

Owl Body Sides Part Sewn

















Next I sewed the sides as far as I had pinned which left roughly a third hemmed but not sewn.  Find the offcuts from the body as these are going to be used for the next part.

Owl Wings Cut Out

I cut out the Wings making sure they were the same size. You can put them back to back and trim if that is easier.

Owl Wings Hemmed

I Pinned the Owl Wings and sewed a hem all the way around.

Wings Folded

I folded a Wing with the hem face up and pinned. Then I sewed along that edge.

Wing Sewn along Edge
Once  I sewed along the edge I turned the right way around and proceeded to stuff the Wing. 

TIP:- Leave some room at the open end in order that it lays flat when sewn.

Pinned Owl Wing

I took the Wing and opening up Owl Body pinned inside on the back piece of the Body. This is why you don't sew all the way up the sides as you need to angle the Wing to fall in the correct place.

Owl Wings Pinned to Body
I pinned the other Wing into place and see checked if they were level. Once satisfied I  sewed both wings in place and the rest of the sides. 

TIP: - You might want to sew up the bottom of the Wings first so you don't have stuffing falling out whilst sewing in place.

I had now made two Wing shaped Pin Cushions. Always a useful thing to have to hand when tailoring. Now I had to make it look more like a recognisable Owl. I started with the Eyes then the Beak.

Owl Eyes Template


I found a lid that was just a little bigger than the size of the Owls Eyes. This was to allow for hemming. I drew and cut out two circles for the Base and hemmed all around.

Owls Pupils
I took a second piece of material and with a smaller lid I drew, cut out and hemmed two more circles to make the Pupils. I then centred the Pupils on the Base and sewed into place

Owl Eyes and Beak
I then cut out and hemmed a small yellow triangle for a Beak and Pinned the Eyes and Beak into place prior to sewing to make sure the spacing was correct. Then I sewed to the Body

Owl Talons
Now I had sewn the Eyes and Beak into place I could judge where I wanted to put the Owls Talons. These I simply cut out some small pieces of yellow, pinned and sewed into place.

Owl Ears Diagonal Fold

Not all Owls have visible Ears so this part is optional. Making the Ears was easy. I took a square and folded down two corners diagonally then pinned and sewed along fold.

Owl Ears Second Fold

Then I folded the bottom part of the material in two. The shape vaguely resembles a paper boat. I sewed along that hem. The lower part is what will be attached to the Body.

Owls Ears in Place
I placed the Ears inside the Body and pinned to the back the same way I had done for the Wings.

The next bit was a little more tricky as I was going to do the feathers. The idea was to make a holder for the pencils for my artist friend.


Owl Feathers Hem
I took a piece of rectangle cloth and hemmed all the way around. 

Owl Feathers Pinned
The next part was to fold the Feathers. I started in the middle with a diagonal fold both sides creating a V shape. Then I continued folding one side making sure that there was at least a fingers width space between folds pinning as I went.

Owl Feathers Sewn
After I had done all the pinning I sewed along the folds.

Owl Scissor Spacing

I then centred the Feathers and pinned in place. 
NOTE: The Feathers are now upside-down from the other photographs. This is to make a pocket for the Scissors. 

Owl Pocket Sewn in Place
When I was satisfied that the pocket was correctly aligned I sewed into place. The next bit was the most important and if I had not given enough space with my Feather folding I would have to restart the Feathers. Mine were all right thankfully but if yours aren't don't panic. You simply have to undo a couple of Feather seams. It is possible that you might lose one pocket each side but it is better than having to start from scratch.

Owl Feathers Pencil Spacing

















Once I had anchored my pocket by sewing in place I could proceed with pinning the Feathers. I thought the best way to get the width right was to insert pencils into the Feathers and pin in place prior to sewing. If you notice I have also slightly tapered the Feathers so they are not completely in line.

Owl Feathers Sewn in Place

Now the Feathers were sewn into place I then stuffed the rest of the Owl and blanket stitched along the top to close.

Owl Finishing Touches
I had decided prior to making the Pin Cushion/Pencil Holder that what I was going to make wasn't a fully grown Owl but that of an Owl Chick. To create this effect I simply added some fluff to essential areas such as the Chicks Ears and over the Talons.

There you have it a Multifunctional Owl Chick ready to leave the nest for his new home. I miss you both. x



No comments:

Post a Comment