Thursday 15 June 2017

Sewn Head Scarf 2017 Part 1

Sewn Head Scarf 2017 Part 1

I have a problem with the sun especially in summer. Therefore I always need to have some kind of head covering to protect me. This could either be a hat or some kind of scarf.

Since I am a little short on summer headwear I have decided to use up some cloth I have to make a Headscarf

Square Piece of Cloth














The cloth I have is calico and I cut out a rough square. I did not measure it I just did it by eye.

Cloth Hemmed














Next I did a rough hem all around with a tacking stitch with beige cotton thread. The size worked out at about 16 Inches square.

Ribbon Attached








After hemming I sorted out some ribbons. I decided on green and proceeded fold over and sew both the ends to prevent fraying. I then attached one ribbon at the top right hand corner and one at the bottom left hand corner.

Once these two ribbons were added I then folded the rough hem over to make a new hem. This time I used a running back stitch. To make it more decorative I used a twin dark green thread on two sides of the square and a light green on the other two sides.

Fleur de Lys Template Middle 







The next step was to decide on a design. I am rather partial to the Fleur de Lys. I therefore drew a Fleur de Lys Template on a spare bit of cardboard. I then cut out the Template.

Folding the square into a triangle with the ribbons both at the end I found the middle. I then placed the Template on the cloth and drew around it in pencil.

Fleur de Lys Template Bottom









After drawing the first Fleur de Lys I turned the cloth over downwards. On the opposite side I drew another Fleur de Lys. This time I positioned the Template at the bottom of the cloth.

Both Fleur de Lys Templates
















The above photo shows both of the Designs drawn with the fine detail added.

Drawn Design in Ring













In order to make embroidering easier I put the cloth into a wooden ring to hold it taut. 

Light Green Outlined Fleur de Lys
















Taking two threads of Light Green Embroidery Silk I backstitched the outline. I then embroidered the band in a darker green.

Both Fleur de Lys Outlined
















After the first one was outlined I then repeated the process with the other design only this time I reversed the colours. As of yet I haven’t decided about the filling in of the designs.I will let you know in the next blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment