Thursday 13 July 2017

Keep Cool and Keep Calm -Ice Inspirations 2017 Part 1

Keep Cool and Keep Calm -Ice Inspirations 2017 Part 1

It is hot. In fact it is more than hot it is sweltering. To give you an idea last night the temperature in my flat at five past midnight according to my thermometer was 30 degrees.

Every year it seems that the summer weather is getting hotter and more humid. I don’t do summer – I hide away like a vampire and only come out when it is cooler. However the past week it hasn’t been cool inside even with the fans going full blast.

Material for Ice Pack Cover










One night unable to sleep I had a truly brilliant inspiration. I remembered that in the freezer I had some of those Ice Packs for putting in food bags to keep cool. So I jumped off the bed got one out of the freezer, wrapped some cloth around it so I didn’t get wet and clung to it for dear life.

The only problem was it kept slipping from out of the cloth. So I thought hot water bottles have covers why not ice packs? This is the actual scrap piece of material I used to wrap the Ice Pack with.

Uneven Material













Naturally it needed to be hemmed. Since I was in a rush I didn’t trim it first but after doing some of the hemming I had to pin together to work out where I needed to hem and then trim later.

Design Idea

















This photograph has come out very yellow but I have no idea why. It is the same material – calico that I have used previously. After the hemming had been done I folded the material in half horizontally. This will create the cover shape.


Design Snowflake
















Since the previous photograph came out so badly I thought I would take one when I had finished backstitching the basic design which in this case is a snowflake. I put the design roughly in the middle of the material on one side of the cover. I will do a different design on the other side.

Snowflake Build Up


After the base dark blue colour I sewed around the whole design in a lighter blue.

Point Additions















Next I had to make it look more like a snowflake. Using the same light blue colour I sewed a triangle on to the main four points.

Extra Point Additions

















As you can see I have continued the triangle shaped design so each point now is covered. I will continue the bag cover in the next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment