Thursday 3 August 2017

Keep Cool and Keep Calm -Ice Inspirations 2017 Part 4

Keep Cool and Keep Calm -Ice Inspirations 2017 Part 4

This is the final part of the Ice Inspiration Icepack’s and frankly I think I may have gone a bit mad on what is for all intents and purposes a simple bag.

Penguin Design Idea

















I have done Snowflakes, Igloo’s, Snowmen so far in my previous designs so I wondered what else I could come up with in my Ice Inspiration series. Then it hit me Igloo’s are found in the Arctic so let’s do something from the Antarctic. Hence the Penguin Design

Penguin Outline
















It started off well with me doing my usual backstitch outline. Then as I was doing the feet a thought struck me. If I filled in the black areas they would merge into one. I had to pause and have a think.

Penguin White Section




















Whilst I was contemplating the black areas I thought I would make a start on the white. This is again in backstitch but I have stitched back and forth across the Penguin in white in parallel lines thereby creating what I hope to be layers of feathers.

I also filled in the eyes and the orange areas of the feet and beak. For some reason I have also filled in a kind of widows peak. I think I might have been influenced by the succession of horror movies I was watching whilst embroidering.

Penguin Chick




















Once I almost filled in the areas already mentioned the solution to my problem manifested itself. Instead of doing a Penguin I would do a Penguin Chick. Now I admit I have taken some artistic license but my ideas and ability do not always tally up. Instead of filling in the rest of the Penguin in black I have filled in the feathers with a dark grey.

This bright idea of mine took literally hours to do. Each little stitch was at a diagonal angle in order to create the feathery look.

Washed and Pressed Baby Penguin Chick
After laboriously filling in all the feathers I thought it still lacked something. Therefore I added a bit of coast, cold water and Icebergs. Only thing left to do was then add the press studs and sew the edges as before.


Here is the finished product all washed and pressed. Phew what will I come up with next?

No comments:

Post a Comment