Thursday 17 August 2017

Renovating Box Seats 2017 Part 1

Renovating Box Seats 2017 Part 1

Sometime ago I found on the market what I shall term a Box Seat. I am not sure what the correct term is but it is like a mini Ottoman. I got this for the amazing price of £2 so I snapped it up quick.

The paint was flaky and the material ripped. So I gave it a good clean and sanded off the loose pieces and painted it over with black paint. I meant to come back to it sometime at a later date to do the reupholstering. Then lo and behold I found another one from the same place about 8 months later. It is slightly smaller and has different arms but I took it as a sign to get on with the rest of the work.

Box Seats Before










As you can see I have already rubbed down and repainted the smaller Box Seat. The next step was to remove the fabric.

First Layer 











It wasn’t until I started removing the material on the smaller Box Seat I realised there was more than one layer of fabric.

Second Layer












Then I found another layer below the first.

Third Layer











Then after removing that I found the third and final layer which I have to say was horrible and bitty and came away in pieces.

Fortunately the larger Box Seat only had one layer of material and the padding so took a lot less time.

Larger Box Seat Pre-wiped

As you can see even with the padding removed it is pretty filthy. Before I could do anything I was going to have to do some cleaning.

Both Box Seats Wiped Down










I gave both Seats a good wipe down and tried to remove as much of the spare material as possible.

Large Box Seat With Excess Nails




















Even though some nails came out whilst I was removing the fabric there were still quite a few left. There were also odd bits of material left attached to the lid. These would all need removing before I could do the next step.

Small Box Seat Lid












Argh! Whilst trying to remove some nails the lid came completely off. This was another job I could add to the list. 

Repair Lid
 










I also needed to repair the raised part so it was flat against the rest of the wood.

Small Box Seat Nails













The above picture shows the Small Box Seat minus its lid. I have to remove all the excess nails from this before I can reattach the lid to it. You may also notice that there is paint missing at the back. When I have reattached the lid I am going to give both Boxes another good wipe down and another lick of paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment