Thursday 24 August 2017

Renovating Box Seats 2017 Part 2

Renovating Box Seats 2017 Part 2

Now my Boxes were clean and painted (and dry) I could move on to the next part which is adding the Foam padding. I bought some off the market and now had to cut to size.

Rough Foam Cut










I cut the Foam roughly to size then I needed to measure it properly to cut off the excess.

Measuring Foam













To ensure I had a straight edge rather than using a measuring tape I used my ruler and scored along it with the scissors.

Marking Both Edges Ready to Cut












I had lined up the already cut edges of the Foam with the edges of the box lids and cut down the middle. This meant that I only had two edges on both that needed straightening. I like cutting down the work as much as possible.

I trimmed the edges down a bit at a time so I didn’t take too much off although I think it was touch and go in some places. Unlike flat material where you can just cut across easily this Foam was roughly an inch and a half thick.

This means that during cutting it was difficult to keep the scissors straight. Afterwards I found that I had kept to the line at the top but had veered off underneath so I had to trim and correct.

Securing The Foam













When I was satisfied that I had got the Foam cut as good as I was going to get it was time to secure it to the lids. Otherwise when I start trying to measure the material they would keep sliding around.

I wanted to keep the nails to a minimum as it lessened the risk of them poking through the material so I just put one nail in each corner of both of the Box Seats. This should be ample for the next part.


No comments:

Post a Comment