Thursday 7 September 2017

Renovating Box Seats 2017 Part 4

Renovating Box Seats 2017 Part 4

Now I have finished all the hemming it is time to fix the material to the Box

Securing Material at Back












My initial idea was to staple the material in place so I bought a stapler. However there was some fault with it and I had to return it. There wasn’t another stapler that suited my purposes so I had a quick stroll down to Wilko’s.

I wanted some tacks but I didn’t really want anything that looked to modern or garish. Luckily I spotted some antique bronze coloured tacks so I bought those – I bought a couple of packets to be on the safe side.

I made sure the material was as far to the back as possible without it being trapped and secured it with two tacks, one roughly about the middle of the hinges.

Securing Material at Front












Next I pulled the material taut and fixed with one tack at the centre of the front part of the lid.

Securing Material Underneath












Once I had these initial three holding tacks in I proceed to fold the rest of the hem underneath and put some securing tacks in there.

I have to say I am glad I bought two packs of 50 tacks because I bent quite a few. This is because as you can see in the above photograph there are quite a few nails in the wood already and I kept catching them.

Finished Box Seat
 













The folding over of the edges at the corners was a bit of a nightmare and was impossible to photograph whilst doing. I folded the corners to the side and back to keep the front side looking smart. I also added the rest of the tacks as evenly as I could to secure the material in place.


I think you will agree it hasn’t turned out too badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment