Thursday 19 October 2017

Other Bits and Bobs 2017 Part 2

Welcome to my 100th Blog

Other Bits and Bobs 2017 Part 2

I decided to make a present for a friend of mine who was due to have a baby. I have done other baby items in the past so I looked for my pattern. Where this pattern had disappeared to I have no idea so I ended up buy a new one.

Baby Set King Cole Pattern












Once I found a pattern I liked from Knit Nottingham I discussed the yarn. I have difficult using acrylic yarn as I have a reaction to it. I normally use wool but since this is for a baby I was hesitant to use wool because of the mittens going in its mouth.

The mother wanted the items in white so after putting our heads together we decided to use the Bamboo Cotton. This was a win-win situation as since the baby is due in December and the size knitted is from 0-3 months it will be excellent for the spring.

White Baby Ribbed hat














The selection was a bit of a mixture. Even though she is expecting a girl we both preferred the boy’s patterns. The Ribbed Hat was chosen from the top right

White Baby Mittens















Since the Hat was ribbed we decided to match it using the pattern from the bottom left for the Mittens.

White Bootees Mistake Side View

















I have absolutely no idea what happened here. I am using the pattern from the bottom left corner. However if you look at the photograph in the pattern it clearly shows a cord through it. So where are the holes for it?

White Bootees Mistake Front View










Unsure of what to do I part sewed one up the seam and took to show the mother. I explained that I could try and squeeze a cord or either a ribbon through the bootees. Alternatively I could fold over the top of the bootee and thread through that.

White Bootee Top Folded














It was decided that we would go with the folded over version with a ribbon.

Ribbon Added














As you recall the yarn I am using is white. However I think there had been a problem with the dye. For some reason the items have a lemony tinge. Therefore we have chosen to add a splash of colour by using a Yellow Ribbon.

Normally when I sew I hem the item then thread the cord through with a safety pin. Here I wanted to make sure the ribbon didn’t get twisted so I put the ribbon underneath and sewed along below it.

Ribbons Finished














I had folded over and hemmed the ribbon to stop fraying. Once done I simply then tied the ribbon off with a bow.

Full Knitted Set Finished













Here is the full set finished. I am quite pleased with them. I hope the mother feels the same.




No comments:

Post a Comment