Thursday 26 October 2017

Other Bits and Bobs 2017 Part 3

Other Bits and Bobs 2017 Part 3

With the warm weather gone for another year I have turned my mind to winter projects

King Cole Patten Selection


















As you can tell from the condition this is one of my favourite patterns bought many years ago from Knit Nottingham.

King Cole Patten Set No 2
















The Green Scarf I posted about the other week was made from this pattern. I have a set in the purple colour shown above.

This time I wanted something a little brighter. I selected a Coral Pink.

Merino DK Blend
















I bought 2 balls of 50g Merino DK Blend Pink Dye no 52152. It wouldn’t be enough to the whole set but it would be enough to start with.

Pink Beret Too Many Rows












It started off all right with me casting on 120 stitches on 3.25mm needles. Whether due to tiredness or being distracted I don’t know but I managed to knit an extra row and therefore had to undo it before adding the increase row.

Pink Beret Not Enough Stitches









Another mistake! I am not sure if I merely miscounted or it was something to do with undoing the row and twisting the stitches but somehow I have little holes in the knitting. In addition to that I am also 7 stitches short.

I have two options. I can either undo the knitting again or I can add extra stitches. I chose the latter option. The next part requires changing needles from 3.25m to 4mm needles.

I accordingly started transferring the stitches across to the new size whilst at the same time making new stitches. I was supposed to have 172 stitches but only had 165.

I decided to add 3 stitches towards the beginning of the row and 4 towards the end. That means once the Beret is sewn up the mistakes should be hidden around the back.

New Ball









One ball of this goes as far as the decreasing on row 10. That is useful to know if I make another one in a different colour.

13 Stitches












Yet another problem has arisen. Firstly I must have missed a slip stitch because I was supposed to have 39 but instead I had 40. I fixed that by knitting two together at the end of the row before the next decrease.

After the decrease I should have 20 Stitches but instead I had 26. These stitches had to be purled together to finish. I therefore still purled two together and ended up with 13 Stitches.

7 Stitches
















I was unsure what to do at this point. I was supposed to pull through the 10 remaining stitches. However I was a little concerned that with the extra stitches it might make a big hole at the top of the Beret.

In the end I decided to knit two together 6 times and knit the last stitch. Thus I was left with 7 stitches on the needle. I could then pull the wool through and sew together

Pink Beret Finished














I sewed the Beret together and though it is a little untidy at the back I don’t think it is a bad job considering.

Handy Tip
If you are going to knit something when you have to count don’t do it whilst other people are chatting to you!



No comments:

Post a Comment